Novation Launchpad Ableton Live Controller Review
Novation Launchpad Ableton Live Controller Feature
- Seamless integration of Launchpad and Ableton Live
- Backlit multi-color 64-button grid provides instant session overview
- Ideal for launching clips and scenes
- No additional power supply needed - single lead USB-powered from your computer
- Supports multi-unit operation - connect up to 6 Launchpads at a time
The 64-button grid and scene launch buttons are ideal for controlling clips and scenes (see larger pop-up image).
Launchpad gets all the power it needs via USB, and you can connect up to six units at once via a USB hub.
- Launch clips and scenes: Launchpad's 64-button grid and dedicated scene launch buttons are ideal for launching and controlling your clips and scenes.
- Innovative control over your mix: Including volume, pans, sends, track arming, soloing and muting. Launchpad lets you jump to different levels across eight channels at once.
- Sketch out beats: Launchpad can be used to play drum racks, creating beats and triggering samples in real time.
- Controlling other functions Launchpad can be used to control other functions using Ableton's 'Learn' mode. This includes Ableton's knobs and faders, which can be assigned to rows of buttons on Launchpad.
- Multiple unit operation: Connect up to 6 Launchpads at a time. Expand your grid with multiple Launchpads, or have one Launchpad dedicated to mixer mode, and the other to launching clips.
- Expand your Ableton control solution: Novation's Automap-enabled controllers work seamlessly together--a ZeRO SL MkII to control the mix, whilst Launchpad triggers clips.
- Automap-enabled: Launchpad can control other DAWs and plug-ins using Novation's Automap control software. Automap can assign controls to software parameters on VST/AU/RTAS/TDM plug-ins by simply clicking on them, and touching a controller.
- See what you're triggering: Automap provides a customizable heads-up transparent display across your computer screen. Ideal for seeing at a glance samples that you're about to trigger.
- QWERTY keyboard shortcuts: Automap PRO, an optional upgrade available to purchase online, lets you assign almost any computer keyboard shortcut, and combinations thereof, to Launchpads buttons.
- Old-school MIDI control: Utilizing Automap, Launchpad can operate as a standard MIDI controller, creating custom MIDI maps with 72 of its buttons transmitting either CC or MIDI note data.
- Flexible trigger platform for Max MSP and Reaktor programmers: Programmers can utilize variable brightness and multi-color LED states to their full advantage when designing new and innovative tools in Max MSP and Reaktor.
- Launchpad and Max for Live: Max is a visual programming environment that allows you to custom build instruments and effects. Launchpad can be used to control these instruments. For example, parameters on Max for Live's step sequencer can be triggered using Launchpad's buttons. Launchpad gives you a huge amount of visual feedback. Multiple colors and brightnesses across different buttons display visual information about whether the note is on, the velocity, note length, pitch, and whatever else you want to see.
What's in the Box
Launchpad, USB cable, DVD-ROM with Ableton Live 8 Launchpad Version (Mac and PC installers) and 1 GB of Loopmaster sample content
- Physical Controls and Indicators:
- 64 (8x8 grid) square multi-color backlit buttons
- 8 round multi-color backlit system buttons (assignable)
- 8 round multi-color backlit function buttons (not assignable)
- Connectivity: USB 1.1
- Mac system requirements: Mac OS X 10.4 or later; Intel Mac or G4 and higher processor
- Windows system requirements: Windows XP or Vista; 1.5 GHz or faster processor; 512 MB of RAM (1 GB recommended)
- Dimensions: 9.45 x 9.45 x 0.79 inches (WxDxH)
- Weight: 25 ounces (1 pound, 9 ounces)